Donald Trump threatens retaliatory tariffs after EU hits Google with €2.95bn fine - FT中文网
登录×
电子邮件/用户名
密码
记住我
请输入邮箱和密码进行绑定操作:
请输入手机号码,通过短信验证(目前仅支持中国大陆地区的手机号):
请您阅读我们的用户注册协议隐私权保护政策,点击下方按钮即视为您接受。
FT商学院

Donald Trump threatens retaliatory tariffs after EU hits Google with €2.95bn fine

US president criticises ‘very unfair’ measures a day after he hosts tech chiefs at the White House

Donald Trump has doubled down on threats to hit Europe with more tariffs after the bloc imposed a multibillion-dollar fine on Google.

The European Commission on Friday fined Google €2.95bn for its search advertising practices despite fears within the bloc about escalating tensions with the US president.

Writing on Truth Social hours later, Trump railed against “very unfair” fines and taxes charged to US tech companies.

“We cannot let this happen to brilliant and unprecedented American Ingenuity,” Trump wrote, before threatening to trigger a trade probe that could lead to tariffs on European goods.

The commission, the EU’s top antitrust enforcer, ordered the US tech group to end the alleged “self-preferencing” of its own services and to introduce measures to limit its dominant position in the advertising tech sector.

The fine is one of the largest to be levied against Google. It was previously hit with a €4.12bn fine in 2018 for using its Android mobile phone operating system to squash rivals.

Google now has 60 days to inform the commission about how it intends to comply. If it does not, Brussels warned that the alleged offences could only be resolved by forcing the company to sell off parts of its business.

“At this stage, it appears that the only way for Google to end its conflict of interest effectively is with a structural remedy, such as selling some part of its Adtech business,” said EU competition chief Teresa Ribera. “This seems both necessary and proportionate to effectively stop the infringement.”

The company said it would appeal against the decision. Lee-Anne Mulholland, Google’s global head of regulatory affairs, called the fine “unjustified” and said “it requires changes that will hurt thousands of European businesses by making it harder for them to make money”.

Google also framed the fine as an example of Europe’s disproportionate enforcement on US companies, echoing complaints from other US tech companies such as Facebook owner Meta.

The EU’s announcement was initially planned for Monday, but it was cancelled at the last minute by trade chief Maroš Šefčovič, according to people briefed on the process.

Brussels and Washington are still ironing out the details of their trade deal struck in late July. Trump has also recently threatened retaliatory tariffs against countries whose taxes or laws target US tech companies. 

Trump’s fresh threats on Friday come one day after the heads of major tech companies gathered for a White House dinner in which they lavished the US president with praise.

The potential new levies also underscore that turbulence between Washington and its major trading partners is likely to continue despite the striking of a string of new trade deals.

Šefčovič on Wednesday declined to comment on confidential procedures but said he “fully supports” the investigation against Google under Ribera and that they had “been in regular contact over the past few days”.

On Friday, Ribera said: “We will continue to apply our rules firmly and fairly, without fear or favour, in relation to all companies operating in Europe.”

Friday’s fine relates to a probe that dates back to 2021 when the commission said it had concerns that Google was making it harder for rivals to compete in the online advertising market.

In 2023, Brussels charged Google with abusing its dominant position in the advertising tech sector, warning that the alleged offences could only be resolved by forcing the US tech giant to sell off part of its business.

Earlier this week, Google also avoided a court order in the US requiring it to be broken up after a ruling last year that it had created an illegal monopoly.

The US Department of Justice had argued that Google should have to sell its Chrome browser and, if necessary, its Android operating system.

But a federal judge determined that those sanctions were too severe, instead directing the company to share more data and banning it from making exclusive distribution contracts.

There has been co-ordination between the commission and the DoJ on the case, said people briefed on the process.

Additional reporting by Andy Bounds and Henry Foy in Brussels. 

版权声明:本文版权归FT中文网所有,未经允许任何单位或个人不得转载,复制或以任何其他方式使用本文全部或部分,侵权必究。

为何人工智能对软件行业的攻击令众多行业不安

围绕智能体使用的较量正开始变得清晰。

软件并未“死去”,但其安逸的商业模式可能会终结

公司必须重新思考收费政策,使之根据完成的任务而非用户数量来定价。

你是AI颠覆浪潮的哪一类受害者?

从抱残守旧的企业,到依赖被裁或失业工人的企业,这项新技术无人能幸免。

Synthesia创始人里帕贝利:请忘记你对视频的一切认知

这家估值40亿美元的英国初创公司创始人谈论他重塑内容创作的使命,以及欧洲如何在全球人工智能竞赛中保持竞争力。

扎克伯格将在一场具有里程碑意义的社交媒体审判中出庭作证

Meta首席执行官出庭作证,这家美国科技集团正就社交媒体是否让儿童上瘾一事应对法律诉讼。

泽连斯基称,俄乌谈判在停火问题上取得“一些进展”

乌克兰总统表示,美国将监督未来的停火,但他认为在政治议题上没有取得突破。
设置字号×
最小
较小
默认
较大
最大
分享×